How to Get Referrals
When you’re in business for yourself, getting new clients is vital for the health of your company. But how do you go about acquiring new customers? Did you know that referrals are more likely to do business with you than cold calls are? The reason for this is simple. When someone you’ve done business with refers you to someone they know, they are putting their stamp of approval on you and your business. Wouldn’t you be more likely to use someone that your BFF tells you is amazing instead of the guy you’ve never even heard of that calls you up out of the blue? Of course you would! Here are just a few ways to ask for that referral without being awkward.
- Ask for the Referral – Yes, just ask! Oftentimes, simple is the best way. If you’ve done a great job, developed a relationship with your customer, and gone above and beyond, they will be more than happy to give you a referral. You can ask them in person, through an email (are you sending regular emails to your database?), or even in a line on your invoice. It doesn’t have to be complicated and it won’t make you look desperate. I promise.
- Recognition – Make sure you recognize your referral source. Thank them. Seriously, this is important. They’ve gone out of their way to send business to you, they deserve a thank you. Call them up, send a thank you note, or even an email. Make sure to acknowledge them and what they’ve done for your business. People like to be recognized when they do something nice for you. This will keep the referrals coming.
- Reward Them – A little reward can go a long way. It might be something as simple as a gift card to a local coffee shop. Maybe you offer cash for referrals. Maybe it’s a discount on their next product or service they purchase from you. Be creative in what you offer and you’ll see more referrals than ever coming in.
- Referral Cards – This is a great tool to use with a reward. Set your card up with a place to write your customer’s name. Have them give the card to the person they are referring. When they referral returns the card to you, you can then reward them. Maybe you have a monthly drawing for a prize. The more cards that come back to you with their name on them, the more entries they receive!
- Social Media – Social media is an excellent place to ask for referrals. You can direct message a client and ask them to leave a review on your page. Reviews are quick and easy to write and still function like a referral. You can also ask your followers to share your page to their contacts. This puts you in front of an entirely new audience. Again, it is quick and simple for your referrer to do.
Let us know in the comments what techniques you use to ask for referrals and how well they work for you!
100 Coffees is a Networking Organization for Women with an Entrepreneur’s mindset. Find out about the Signature services we offer by heading to the ‘Start Here’ tab! You can find out more About Us on our ‘About Us’ section of the website! This includes more information regarding our founders and leadership team! The blog is a good place to go if you want to check out some valuable information regarding what we have been up to and our latest ramblings. If you have time, check out ‘Spill the Beans’ where you will find our latest talk show episodes! Are you searching for a ‘Work from Home‘ option? Check out the ‘Work from home career opportunities for Women‘! If you like what you see, Join Now! or Contact Us for more information! Thank you!!